[libvirt] Introducing Fabian Freyer (GSoC 2016 student)

Roman Bogorodskiy bogorodskiy at gmail.com
Wed May 4 11:50:10 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'd like to introduce Fabian Freyer (CCed), he's taking part in Google
Support of Code this year within FreeBSD organization and his project is
called "Improving libvirt support for bhyve".

Below I'm sharing a tentative plan we currently have. Or, to be more
specific, it's a list of ideas for the bhyve driver with things were
implementation is clear going first, followed by items were some
additional research and working on approach needed. There's no goal to
implement everything from this list though.

This list was assembled by Fabian with some minor edits from me.

Suggestions and ideas are very welcome.

---

The primary aim of this project is to implement missing calls and
functionality in the libvirt bhyve driver. According to the libvirt API
Support Matrix [1], there are a large number of calls not yet implemented. While
some missing API calls are not applicable to bhyve, a number of them are,
among them the following calls:

 General calls:

  - virConnectDomainXMLFromNative
    This would mostly be an argument parser for a bhyve(8) and bhyvectl(8)
command line.
  - virConnectGetCPUModelNames
    This needs a research: bhyve is not very flexible in configuration of
    what CPU model is exposed to the guest, need to figure out if that’s
    worth implementing now.

 Connection calls:

   Most of these include some form of authentication handling and are
therefore not applicable. However, the following do apply to bhyve and are
easy to implement:

  - virConnectGetType
    Trivially return “BHYVE”
  - virConnectIsAlive
    Trivially return 1, since “A connection will be classed as
    alive if it is [...] local” and /dev/vmm is local.
  - virConnectIsEncrypted
    Trivially return 0, since bhyve does not support encrypted interfaces.

 General Domain calls:

  - virDomainGetMaxMemory
    Since bhyve does not support memory ballooning, just
    return the amount of memory allocated here
  - virDomainGetMaxVcpus, virDomainGetVcpus
    Would use the approach described in this mailing list
    thread: “Until the vCPU state is exposed by bhyvectl, or we provide a
    sysctl, you can use heuristics: the number of vCPU threads for the bhyve
    process, or scan all vCPUs and only count those that have a non-zero RIP.” [2]
  - virDomainGetCPUStats
  - virDomainGetTime
  - virDomainInjectNMI
    Call bhyvectl --inject-nmi
  - virDomainReset
    Reset a bhyve VM with ‘bhyvectl --force-reset’ and then clean things up
    using bhyvectl --destroy; update bhyve monitor code to handle exit
    code 0 from bhyve(8) that’s corresponding to reset (0 - reset
    / reboot, 1 - shutdown, 2 - halt) to trigger re-starting of the VM.
  - virDomainReboot

 Block-Device level calls:

   These would implement access to the vdev block storage layer. The
plan is implement support for both file-backed and zvol-backed virtual
machines for the following API calls:

  - virDomainGetBlockInfo
  - virDomainBlockPeek
  - virDomainBlockCopy
  - virDomainBlockStats
  - virDomainBlockStatsFlags

   Going further, since zvols support snapshotting, I
plan to implement the following for zvol-backed storage:

  - virDomainBlockCommit
  - virDomainBlockPull

 VirtFS layer
   I would like to create patches to support
specifying filesystems when creating the domain as well as the following
calls to be merged at a later time when VirtFS-9p support for bhyve becomes
ready:
  - virDomainFSFreeze
  - virDomainFSThaw

  Memory inspection
  - virDomainMemoryPeek
    A guest’s memory space is exposed in /dev/vmm, so this
    call would have to read from that.
  - virDomainMemoryStats

 Virt-host-validate(1) bhyve support

   Add bhyve support to virt-host-validate:
  - Check support of CPU supports features required for bhyve
  - Check if the vmm module is available
  - Check if essential networking things are available
    (if_bridge(4), if_tap(4)) + nmdm(4) for console

 Networking support

   Currently the bhyve’s libvirt driver (as well as libxl/FreeBSD driver)
only supports L2 interface bridging. There’s no support for upper level schemas
like NAT for example. This is a huge task that involves research of what
firefall is more applicable (ipfw or pf), designing of the firewall rules and
the actual implemtation.

 PCI passthrough support
   I.e. the the "bhyve ... -s 7:0,passthru,4/0/0" thing. Probably that will
involve the HAL nodedev driver modifications.

---

PS For historic purposes, I've stashed the original proposal:

https://people.freebsd.org/~novel/misc/FabianFreyer_GoogleSummerofCode2016proposalImprovingbhyvesupportforlibvirt.pdf

1: https://libvirt.org/hvsupport.html
2:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-virtualization/2014-April/002467.html