[libvirt] Error in `virsh': corrupted double-linked list while running virsh domstate

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Wed May 11 07:39:15 UTC 2016

On 10.05.2016 22:02, Eric Wheeler wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We've been using libvirt for years and it works great, however we just hit
> a bug.
>
> This is running libvirt-1.2.17-13.el7_2.4, however strangely, we had the
> same backtrace on a complete difference system in a different data center
> using version libvirt-1.2.17-13.el7_2.3. Both traces are pasted below.
> This rarely happens, so I'm not sure how to reproduce it. I'm opening to
> suggestions if you would like to try anything.

This usually means that we are overwriting memory somewhere. Worse, we
are overwriting glibc's memory somewhere so next malloc() we make
results in this crash. Usually, what I do in this situations is to run
libvirtd under valgrind. I suspect it's daemon that crashed because of
all the libraries linked in. But be prepared, that doing so will
decrease libvirt's performance.
Also, it would be nice to see what were recent actions running on the
daemon so that we can try to reproduce. Worst case scenario is that
there's just one API that corrupts memory and is executed very soon and
it's only later, much later that the crash occurs. At any rate, valgrind
should help.

Michal