[libvirt] adding a new libvirt xml element for File Descriptor backed memory for use with vhost-user

Mooney, Sean K sean.k.mooney at intel.com
Thu May 12 16:00:29 UTC 2016

Hi Daniel
Thanks for your response.
Comments inline.
Regards
Sean.

[Mooney, Sean K] hi yes the reason I added the shared attribute was to cater for
The case of guest without numa topology. For guest with numa topology I agree that
Using the memAcess='shared' on the cell is better for consistency with hugepage memory.

>   <memoryBacking>
>      <access mode="shared"/>
>   </memoryBacking>
>
> For huge pages it seems we unconditionally pass --mem-prealloc. I'm
> thinking we could perhaps make that configurable via an element
>

>   <memoryBacking>
>      <allocation mode="immediate|ondemand"/>
>   </memoryBacking>
>
> to control use of -mem-prealloc or not.
[Mooney, Sean K] for the vhost user case the the mem-prealloc is required
Because you are basically doing dma so you really want memory to allocated.
Generically though from a Libvirt point of view I do think It makes sense for this
To be configurable to allow over subscript of memory for higher density.

> So all that remains is a way to request file based backing of RAM. As
> with huge pages, I think we should hide the actual path from the user.
> We should just use /dev/shm as the backing for non-hugepage RAM. For
> this we could define something like
>
>    <memoryBacking>
>        <source type="file|anonymous"/>
>    </memoryBacking>

[Mooney, Sean K] for some reason when I used /dev/shm I could only boot one instance at a time.
that was my first choice but maybe we would have to create a file per instance under /dev/shm to make it work.

> Putting that all together, to get what you want we'd have
>
>    <memoryBacking>
>        <source type="file"/>
>        <access mode="shared"/>
>        <allocation mode="immediate"/>
>    </memoryBacking>

[Mooney, Sean K]
Yes this seems like it would be a clean way to address this use case.
Can you guage how small/large of a change this would be. Its been
A while since I worked with c directly but if you could point me in the
Right direction in the Libvirt  codebase I would be happy to look at
creating an RFC patch.

>From a nova side assuming Libvirt was extended for this feature should
I open a blueprint to extend the existing guest memory backing support
In parallel to the Libvirt implementation or wait until after it is
support in Libvirt to start the Nova discussion? In either case I think
we agree that any support in nova Would Depend on Libvirt support to be
accepted in  upstream nova.