[libvirt] Process to upstream new driver for proprietary hypervisor?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri May 20 09:02:14 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 03:19:50PM +0000, Scott Bissett wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently implementing a libvirt driver for my company's proprietary
> custom hypervisor. I have used the VMware driver as a design template,
> since it is interfacing a closed-source hypervisor as well.
>
> Ultimately, as we approach a minimally-usable implementation, we would like
> to upstream our driver mods to libvirt source. What is the process to do so?
> This is all new to me and my organization.

Even if what you have is not yet minimally-usable, I'd encourage you to
send work in progress patches for review on the list. This will help us
identify any integration / design mistakes before you spend too much time
going down a possible blind ally.

> For some brief background info, I am maintaining a git repo of our new code,
> plus ed scripts to modify libvirt source files. I am using quilt to create
> patches which are given to dpkg-buildpackage to create our own .deb packages.
> (I am working on Ubuntu at the moment; soon I will try to address repackaging
> rpms for CentOS).
>
> I appreciate any tips, pointers, suggestions, etc.

Make sure you're familiar with the style guidelines in:

  http://libvirt.org/hacking.html

especially that make check & make syntax-check all pass for each individual
patch.

Generally we recommend sending patches using 'git send-email', with the
patches created against latest GIT master, not some older existing release.

Trying to keep patches split up into small self-contained chunks is also
desirable to help with review. Since it is a hypervisor most reviewers won't
know about it, it'll also be helpful if you give an overview of your hypervisor
architecture & API, so we understand why the code is taking an approach that
it does.