[libvirt] esx: What does "No storage volume with key or path" mean?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri May 6 20:22:58 UTC 2016

We've had a report of a particular vCenter server (using VMware
clustering, we think) where virStorageVolInfo of a guest volume fails
with:

  Storage volume not found: No storage volume with key or path '[...] ...'

The error comes from esxVI_LookupFileInfoByDatastorePath:
https://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=blob;f=src/esx/esx_vi.c;h=f7eeeb5c539914f1a0ba8d974b49e56ecf01e5fd;hb=HEAD#l3571

What does it mean?

The reporter also said they could do some (frankly voodoo) moving
guests around and then the error went away.  We're not sure if that
was just coincidence.

Rich.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v