[libvirt] NFS over AF_VSOCK in <filesystem>

Stefan Hajnoczi stefanha at redhat.com
Tue May 10 12:03:48 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 09, 2016 at 05:18:42PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Mon, May 09, 2016 at 04:57:17PM +0100, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> > virtio-vsock support has been added to the nfs-ganesha NFS server.  I'm
> > currently working on upstreaming virtio-vsock into Linux and QEMU.  I
> > also have patches for the Linux NFS client and server.
> >
> > Users wishing to share a file system with the guest will need to
> > configure the NFS server.  Perhaps libvirt could handle that given that
> > it already has <filesystem> syntax.
> >
> > The basic task is setting up either the kernel nfsd or nfs-ganesha for
> > the VM to access the NFS export(s).  When the VM is destroy the NFS
> > server can be shut down.
>
> Can you elaborate on the interaction between QEMU and the NFS server
> on the host ? What actually needed changing in nfs-ganesha to support
> virtio-vsock ?  I thought that on the host side we wouldn't need any
> changes, because QEMU would just talk to a regular NFS server over
> TCP, and the only virtio-vsock changes would be in QEMU and the guest
> kernel.

The NFS protocol (and SUNRPC) is aware of the transport its running
over.  In order to fully support the protocol it needs to know about
AF_VSOCK and addressing.

The NFS server changes allow specifying an AF_VSOCK listen port.  The
machine name format in /etc/exports or equivalent config also needs to
support vsock.

Stefan