[libvirt] docs: Change or update the hacking page

Nishith Shah nishithshah.2211 at gmail.com
Wed May 11 16:22:50 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 7:51 PM, Michal Privoznik <mprivozn at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On 11.05.2016 16:01, Cole Robinson wrote:
> > I've thought a bit about this too. I don't think the HACKING page is a
> good
> > landing page for new contributors. It _is_ useful document _everything_
> that a
> > contributor might want to know, but I think we should also have a page
> > specifically for a contributor quickstart which has very bare minimum
> info.
> > I'm not saying this is anything you need to handle :) Just figured I'd
> throw
> > my thoughts out.
>
> Agreed. Good idea!
>

> > Ideas for the hypothetical doc, which shouldn't be more than a page or
> two:
> >
> > - building libvirt, with links to more complete docs. though one of the
> > hardest bits about getting involved with any project is learning the
> correct
> > build incantation to make things work. I usually suggest grabbing the
> > ./configure line from rpm --eval '%configure', but libvirt has autogen.sh
> > --system as well, but I haven't tested it in a while
>
> I'd advice them to use the autogen.sh script, because I guess that rpm
> produces this long command line enabling all the features supported (for
> instance systemd API requiring systemd-devel and so on). In general,
> when configure is run without any additional arguments, it enables all
> the features that it is able to with packages currently installed in the
> system. I don't think we should require newbies to install sheepdog for
> instance.
>

> > - running libvirt: running libvirtd/virsh from git, maybe RPM? probably
> > discouraging 'make install' unless people know what they are doing
>
> Correct. ./run daemon/libvirtd or ./run tools/virsh. I wouldn't mention
> RPM as it would replace libvirtd they have in the system, which is a
> stable one with their buggy one. They are new to the project, there
> definitely gonna be some bugs in their code.
>

> > - basic steps for running make check and make syntax-check
>
> This should be the default. Correct. I usually join them: make all
> syntax-check check.
>

> > - mention that we use git format-patch/send-email, but no instructions,
> link
> > them if necessary. maybe link to example mailing list postings for
> guidelines
> > for formatting commit messages/series
>
> Correct.
>

> > - A link to the BiteSizedTasks page
>
> Correct.

I am definitely +1 for this. Having recently gotten my first patch
accepted, I would say that a contributor quickstart page which describes
how to set up the bare essentials to start contributing with links to more
info is a good idea.

Also, anything more about changing stuff on the hacking page, like the
example I had given about removing the point that mentions using plain diff
or git diff? Any more points or things that should be removed, added or
updated from that page?

Nishith