[libvirt] docs: Change or update the hacking page

Andrea Bolognani abologna at redhat.com
Thu May 12 08:35:54 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-05-11 at 10:01 -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> On 05/11/2016 02:04 AM, Nishith Shah wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone, sorry about the empty message above, I was typing and I pressed
> > the wrong set of keys.
> >
> > So, I was going through the contributor guidelines page[1], and after
> > discussing with Michal Privoznik, I think there are some things that need to
> > be updated. For instance, the 4th point about posting patches mentions using
> > git diff instead of git format-patch. I also feel that the workflow in general
> > should be re-written and updated with some more details. I have written a very
> > detailed post about the workflow here[2], and might pick some points up from
> > there. Please let me know what you think of it.
> >
> > Also, please post the other things  that you think should be changed on that
> > page in this thread.
>
> I've thought a bit about this too. I don't think the HACKING page is a good
> landing page for new contributors. It _is_ useful document _everything_ that a
> contributor might want to know, but I think we should also have a page
> specifically for a contributor quickstart which has very bare minimum info.

We have something like that - it's called README-hacking :)

I argued before that HACKING should be our quickstart document,
just as is the case with many other projects, and the full
contributors guidelines should live in a separate document that
bears a different name.

--
Andrea Bolognani
Software Engineer - Virtualization Team