[libvirt] VirtualBox 5 support

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri May 20 10:58:39 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 12:51:11PM +0200, Martin Pietsch wrote:
> Dear libvirt-developer-team,
>
> I want to manage virtual machine of VirtualBox with libvirt. In a test
> I found out, that VirtualBox 5 is not support by the current version of
> libvirt. For this reason I have added this support in the source code.
> Now I want to commit these changes to the libvirt project, but I do not
> know, if there are any interests. Who can help me?

We are always interested to receive patches from willing contributors,
especially for drivers like VirtualBox which do not have a large active
set of people contributing.

For first-time contributors to libvirt the best place to start is reading
the "hacking" guidelines:

   http://libvirt.org/hacking.html

My specific top points for new contributors people are

 - Always make patches against latest git master

 - Create a series of patches (commits), each patch focusing on solving
   a specific self-contained problem, rather than 1 single huge patch.

 - Ensure 'make syntax-check' passes after applying each patch

 - Use 'git send-email' to send series of well formatted emails with
   each patch  (if you've not used it before, play with it by telling
   it to send the maill to yourself first :-)