[libvirt] [RFC] why netcf/libvirt lists/dumpxml only unslaved/unsubordinated interfaces?

Nikolay Shirokovskiy nshirokovskiy at virtuozzo.com
Tue Nov 15 11:43:37 UTC 2016

On 15.11.2016 14:18, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 02:13:01PM +0300, Nikolay Shirokovskiy wrote:
>> It could be useful to dumpxml of slaves/subordinates too to introspect
>> host interfaces tree in dephts. Now it is not possible:
>> 'Interface eth0 does not exist or is not a toplevel interface'.
>> Has it some deeper meaning or netcf can be enhanced? (and *libvirt* as well).
>
> The netcf API / libvirt Interface APIs are designed to work against the
> concept of logical network connections, which may comprise multiple
> physical interfaces. They are explicitly *not* a way to query all
> individual physical interfaces - that's what libvirt's node device APIs
> are for.

I donno. AFAIU you can start with bridge and unslaved physical interface. They are both
in list and can be dumped. Then you enslave interface to the bridge via netcf's define
and then physical interface can not be reached anymore. If I can not change host interfaces
tree  then it would be ok I guess.

Nikolay