[libvirt] vhostuser and openvswitch interface statistics

Mehdi Abaakouk sileht at sileht.net
Thu Nov 17 14:34:19 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm looking for interface statistics for a vhostuser network interface
(that uses ovs-dpdk on the other socket side).

The "virsh domifstat <domain> <ifname>" obviously don't works because it
looks at "/proc/net/dev" for statistics. When we use vhostuser, we
don't create network interface on the host but a socket.

Many tools currently rely on the domainInterfaceStats() API to retrieve
this kind of information.

So I would like to known if their is a plan to support ovs as network
interface statistics source (with something like
"ovs-vsctl get Interface <ifname> statistics") ?

I have started to write a PoC code that fallback to OVS in virNetInterfaceStats()
when we don't found the interface in /proc/net/dev.

Does this kind of contribution is welcome/match your plan ?

Mehdi Abaakouk
mail: sileht at sileht.net
irc: sileht