[libvirt] 2 major proposals to enhance libvirt and its attractivity among developers & users

jean-christophe Manciot manciot.jeanchristophe at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 07:59:07 UTC 2016

Hello Michal,

Well, in fact I think this should be vice versa. Docker is using LXCs
but not through libvirt. And as much as I wish they had chosen to have
libvirt backend, they hadn't. I mean, docker is a management application
so in the stack it sits above libvirt. But on the other hand, one could
say that about ESX too, and we have a driver for that.

Actually, Libvirt can sit on top of libvirt and use its *REST API:*
cf. *architecture
<https://docs.docker.com/engine/understanding-docker/>*.
Interfacing libvirt with docker would be beneficial to both parties, and
also to virt-manager if you add some docker management calls into libvirt
northbound API.

We do support OvS:

Yes, I know; I have not been clear enough; I meant it seems that OvS
management is not offered in libvirt northbound API since we cannot choose
the bridge type for each virtual network we create inside virt-manager.

--
*Jean-Christophe Manciot*

*[image: Architecte réseaux et Sécurité]
<https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/people/manciot.jeanchristophe/content>
*[image:
Network & Security Architect]
<https://fr.linkedin.com/in/jeanchristophemanciot/en>