[libvirt] [RFC] Toward a better NEWS file

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Wed Oct 19 13:19:36 UTC 2016

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 02:54:06PM +0200, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
>On Wed, 2016-10-19 at 12:58 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>> Why don't we simply have a NEWS file in GIT, and require that
>> non-trivial commits or patch series include an update to NEWS,
>> so the NEWS file gets populated at time the feature/bug fix
>> gets merged.
>
>I'm strongly against adding more generated files to the
>repository; if anything, we should have *less* of them[1].
>
>But if we required the source file, docs/news.html.in, to
>be updated along with notable changes instead, I would be
>all for it! :)

I understood it like this:

 - stop generating NEWS file
 - populate NEWS file with notable features/bug-fixes along with the
   changes themselves
 - use NEWS to make nice news.html

>[1] Hello, HACKING!

Yeah, that's a problem, we want the plain-text HACKING to be there, but
we want the stuff to be on the web page too.  This could be fixed by
making hacking.html.in generated from HACKING and changing HACKING to
use some kind of plaint-text friendly formatted text (org, rst, md, …)
in order not to lose the metadata ;)