[libvirt] [RFC] Toward a better NEWS file

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Fri Oct 21 02:10:50 UTC 2016

On 19.10.2016 19:58, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 01:53:41PM +0200, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> <snip/>
>
> Why don't we simply have a NEWS file in GIT, and require that
> non-trivial commits or patch series include an update to NEWS,
> so the NEWS file gets populated at time the feature/bug fix
> gets merged.

I'm up for this one. While introducing a new feature (which touches a
lot of code anyway) we will just update one file more. I see no problem
with that. Having to provide news per developer later, trying to recall
what have I done, might be harder. Therefore NEWS (or news.html.in)
should be updated among with a major change in the code.

But let me also provide another reason why this is important (thank you
Andrea for starting the thread). I spoke to people who test our software
and sometimes they are just lost with current form of NEWS. It is very
hard for them to even understand new features in the release so that
they cannot really update their test cases (or they do so partially). If
we make NEWS format more readable it will be easier for them to
implement new tests and subsequently it will increase quality of our
project.

Michal