[libvirt] on shutdown

Ruben Kerkhof ruben at rubenkerkhof.com
Wed Oct 26 14:40:12 UTC 2016

On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 7:53 PM, Martin Kletzander <mkletzan at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 11:26:09AM +0200, Ruben Kerkhof wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> virsh(1) has this to say about virsh shutdown:
>> "The exact behavior of a domain when it shuts down is set by the
>> on_shutdown parameter in the domain's XML definition."
>>
>> on_shutdown isn't documented in https://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html
>>

>> Is the virsh(1) manpage wrong?
>>

> Yes, it most certainly is.  The element is called <on_poweroff/> [1]

Thanks for your reply Martin.
Interestingly, I checked some of my xml, and they had <on_shutdown/>
in there next to <on_poweroff/>
These vms have been running for years and I might have even migrated
them from Xen's xm configs to libvirt / kvm at one point.

virsh dumpxml confirms that this element is just ignored, so no harm done.

> Patches welcome O:-)

Will do :)

> Martin
>
> [1] https://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsEvents