[libvirt] virt-admin commands aliases

Erik Skultety eskultet at redhat.com
Mon Sep 5 15:37:07 UTC 2016

Hi there,

after my presentation at KVM Forum, it was pointed out from the audience
that we might think about doing something about the naming of the
virt-admin's comands, since there is some sort of inconsistency: srv-
vs. client- vs. dmn- (not merged yet). When I sent patches to upstream I
already knew that the naming was not optimal, but I didn't come up with
anything better so I hoped that the reviewer might think of something
better which unfortunately did not happen.

Anyway, there are multiple options how this can be approached but I'm
not 100% satisfied with neither of them:

1) rename the commands completely
Although clean, obviously this is the non-preferred option because this
would break any backwards compatibility however, I think there is a fair
chance that people haven't actually started using it yet (although that
might change between 7.3 and 7.4).

2) create aliases for non-abbreviated forms of the commands
That way, srv- would become server- and dmn- would become daemon-.
However, by doing this we'll end up with 6 almost identical entries in
the commands structure which might be error-prone once we decide to
add/create&add a flag to the command primitive, since the flag would
have to be added both to the alias and to the original (unlikely, but
possible that someone might forget about that)

3) abbreviate client- to something like clnt-
Identical to the above except for the amount of duplicate entries which
would be reduced to 2

4) leave it as is if such a consensus is reached and accepted
I guess this does no need any additional comments.

Thanks for any ideas.

Erik