[libvirt] dnsmasq option "dhcp-authoritative" in libvirt virtual networks?

Martin Wilck mwilck at suse.com
Mon Sep 19 15:48:12 UTC 2016

Hello,

I am seeing a slightly annoying behavior of libvirt-created networks on
my system. Whenever a VM fails to renew its DHCP lease in time (for
example because my laptop is suspended), the IP address changes,
causing various annoyances. If this happens, the log message
"DHCPNAK(virbrX): ... lease not found" appears in the libvirtd logs.

Looking at the dnsmasq code, it seems that this would be fixed by
running dnsmasq with the "dhcp-authoritative" option, which, according
to the dnsmasq man page, "should be set when dnsmasq is definitely the
only DHCP server on a network" - IMO that's the case for libvirtd-
managed virtual networks. So the question comes to my mind: is there a
good reason why libvirtd doesn't set "dhcp-authoritative" on the
dnsmasq instances it starts?

Regards
Martin

--
Dr. Martin Wilck <mwilck at suse.com>, Tel. +49 (0)911 74053 2107
SUSELinux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton