[libvirt] [RFC/PATCH 0/2] dnsmasq option "dhcp-authoritative"

Martin Wilck mwilck at suse.de
Wed Sep 21 08:49:40 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2016-09-19 at 17:45 -0400, Laine Stump wrote:

> After reading Simon's mail, and the openstack patch and description,
> it isn't clear that this will actually solve your problem. Have you
> tried it? (to test it, you should be able to just kill dnsmasq, add the
> option to the dnsmasq conf file referenced in its commandline, then restart
> it with the same commandline.

I just tried this successfully (I had to remove the options
'--leasefile-ro --dhcp-script=/usr/lib64/libvirt/libvirt_leaseshelper' from
the dnsmasq command line in order to make dnsmasq start).

In order to be certain, I patched and rebuilt libvirt on OpenSUSE factory
using the follow-up patch set. That test was also successful - IP addresses
don't change any more when a VM renews too late.

Please review the patch set. As you can see I added the option only for IPv4
networks. For IPv6, it has a different effect (just setting the priority of
dnsmasq's replies) which isn't necessary here AFAICS.

> Do you know the first version of dnsmasq that had this option?
> Hopefully the answer is "very old" so we don't have to check for support.

The option pre-dates the import into dnsmasq repository
git://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq.git which occured with v2.48 in June 2009.
According to CHANGELOG.archive, the option was added in dnsmasq v2.16 in 2004.

Regards,
Martin

Martin Wilck (2):
  network: add dnsmasq option 'dhcp-authoritative'
  tests/networkxml2confdata: add dhcp-authoritative option

 src/network/bridge_driver.c                                       | 4 +++-
 tests/networkxml2confdata/dhcp6-nat-network.conf                  | 1 +
 tests/networkxml2confdata/dhcp6host-routed-network.conf           | 1 +
 tests/networkxml2confdata/isolated-network.conf                   | 1 +
 tests/networkxml2confdata/nat-network-dns-srv-record-minimal.conf | 1 +
 tests/networkxml2confdata/nat-network-dns-srv-record.conf         | 1 +
 tests/networkxml2confdata/nat-network-dns-txt-record.conf         | 1 +
 tests/networkxml2confdata/nat-network-name-with-quotes.conf       | 1 +
 tests/networkxml2confdata/nat-network.conf                        | 1 +
 tests/networkxml2confdata/netboot-network.conf                    | 1 +
 tests/networkxml2confdata/netboot-proxy-network.conf              | 1 +

2.9.3