[libvirt] """virsh schedinfo [--weight number] domain""" doesn't work with virsh(libxl) for managing Xen domains.

Volo M. vm at vovs.net
Tue Sep 27 09:27:17 UTC 2016

Hi Devs,

We're using Centos 7 Xen hypervisors and try to use Libvirt(libxl) for
managing Xen guest domains.
We noticed that we can't set cpu weight values for Xen domains with libvirt
(tested for libvirt v.1.3 and v.2.2) even though its possible to do with XL
toolkit.
[root at hv1xen ~]# virsh schedinfo --domain rtp6a88apsm3or --cap=5
Scheduler      : credit
weight         : 1000
[root at hv1xen ~]# virsh schedinfo --domain rtp6a88apsm3or --weight=50
Scheduler      : credit
error: invalid scheduler option: weight

We noticed in documentation for 'virsh' like  this
https://linux.die.net/man/1/virsh that the cpu weight option is going to be
deprecated:
*"""Note*: The weight and cap parameters are defined only for the XEN_CREDIT
scheduler and are now *DEPRECATED* . """

Can you please clarify why it's been deprecated and what should be used
instead for scheduling and limitation of CPU for Xen domains with Libvirt?
We like Libvirt very much and don't want to apply some awkward workarounds
like simultaneous using Libvirt and XL toolkit.
Any suggestion here?

Thanks.