[libvirt] [RFC] daemon: remove hardcode dep on libvirt-guests

Jiri Denemark jdenemar at redhat.com
Thu Sep 29 09:21:53 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 11:33:04 +0300, Nikolay Shirokovskiy wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> In virtuozzo mgmt we do not use libvirt-guests service. First because
> we need do extra steps on domain start and second we want to decice
> whether to suspend or to shutdown a domain on per domain basis. Starting
> is not the problem but system shutdown is. As domain in systemd based
> systems is just another unit we need to set ordering dependency so
> that domain will not be killed before mgmt service as ba79e387 do for
> libvirt-guest service. So let's remove this hardcode. I see 2 options.

I don't see hard dependency anywhere in libvirtd.service, it just says

Before=libvirt-guests.service

> 1. Take dependant service name from config.
> 2. Introduce intermediate service that will specify real dependency.
> Looks like this one is more flexible.

Do you just need to stick another service between libvirtd and
libvirt-guests? If so, it should be fairly easy to do with just two
additional lines in the new services:

foo.service
[Unit]
Before=libvirt-guests.service
After=libvirtd.service

In case you want to get rid of libvirt-guests completely, just disable
it and you can even avoid the Before=libvirt-guests.service line in your
new service, although keeping it there won't hurt.

Jirka