[libvirt] summary of current vfio mdev upstreaming status

Kirti Wankhede kwankhede at nvidia.com
Thu Sep 29 10:58:37 UTC 2016

On 9/29/2016 2:47 PM, Neo Jia wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 04:55:39PM +0800, Jike Song wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> In order to have a clear understanding about the VFIO mdev upstreaming
>> status, I'd like to summarize it. Please share your opinions on this,
>> and correct my misunderstandings.
>>
>> The whole vfio mdev series can be logically divided into several parts,
>> they work together to provide the mdev support.

Thanks Jike for summarizing. We already have separate patch for each of
these logical parts. I had maintained patch sequence in incremental
depending order.

> Hi Jike,
>
> Thanks for summarizing this, but I will defer to Kirti to comment on the actual
> upstream status of her patches, couples things to note though:
>
> 1) iommu type1 patches have been extensively reviewed by Alex already and we
> have one action item left to implement which is already queued up in v8 patchset.

That's right Neo.

> 2) regarding the sysfs interface and libvirt discussion, I would like to hear
> what kind of attributes Intel folks are having so far as Daniel is
> asking about adding a class "gpu" which will pull several attributes as mandatory.
>
> Thanks,
> Neo
>

>> PART 1: mdev core driver
>>
>> 	[task]
>> 		-	the mdev bus/device support
>> 		-	the utilities of mdev lifecycle management
>> 		-	the physical device register/unregister interfaces
>>
>> 	[status]
>> 		-	basically agreed by community
>>

>> PART 2: vfio bus driver for mdev
>>
>> 	[task]
>> 		-	interfaces with vendor drivers
>> 		-	the vfio bus implementation
>>
>> 	[status]
>>
>> 		-	basically agreed by community

I'm working on v8 version for above patches based on previous discussions.

>> PART 3: iommu support for mdev
>>
>> 	[task]
>> 		-	iommu support for mdev
>>
>> 	[status]
>> 		-	Kirti's v7 implementation, not yet fully reviewed
>>

>> PART 4: sysfs interfaces for mdev
>>
>> 	[task]
>> 		-	define the hierarchy of minimal sysfs directories/files
>> 		-	check the validity from vendor drivers, init/de-init them
>> 	[status]
>> 		-	interfaces are in discussion
>>

>From coding perspective, this is part of mdev core module. I think we
can't completely separate this part from mdev core module while coding
it. Yes, this interface is still in discussion and we need to settle
down on that soon.

>> PART 6: Documentation
>>
>> 	[task]
>> 		-	clearly document the architecture and interfaces
>> 		-	coding example for vendor drivers
>>
>> 	[status]
>> 		-	N/A

I had tried to maintain the document as per changes going on in above
patches from v6 onward and will continue to update it for each version
accordingly.

I had sent out patch with sample driver few hours back wrt v7 patchset.
And henceforth I'll keep on updating sample driver as per changes in
mdev modules and add it in my patch series.

Thanks,
Kirti