[libvirt] Question about virsh domifaddr

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Apr 11 13:54:56 UTC 2017

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 06:48:05AM -0700, Vinod Chegu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In one of our test env. the virsh domifaddr <domain-name> --full doesn't
> provide any info about the interfaces of a live VM when the interfaces were
> configured on linux bridges (DHCP is being used to IPs).  This command does
> return information when interfaces were using NAT.

domifaddr has two ways to get the answer. First it can ask the libvirt
managed dnsmasq instance what it assigned for DHCP. Second it can ask
the QEMU guest agent to report what the guest OS has.

The former won't work for you if you're relying on DHCP server on the
LAN, instead of libvirt's local NAT based network. The latter obviously
requires you to install the guest agent.

|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|