[libvirt] server side copy from one volume to another

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Mon Apr 17 11:08:33 UTC 2017

On 04/17/2017 10:47 AM, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
>> Anyone can submit patches to libvirt. Not just Red Hat guys ;-) I'd love
>> to have more people with different backgrounds contributing. Simply
>> because together we know more.
>

> I can take this (may be) what is the best way to implement this - use
> optimal copy function tight with storage backend? Or create generic
> variant that utilize vol download/upload and transfer data via local
> libvirt daemon?

Before digging into implementation of a new functionality we should
check if the functionality is not already there. I mean - that 'virsh
vol-create-from' or libvirt.virStoragePool.createXMLFrom() or
virStorageVolCreateXMLFrom() - they should serve exactly what you need.
Don't they?

If not, then yes - we might focus on adding new API for that.

Michal