[libvirt] server side copy from one volume to another

Pino Toscano ptoscano at redhat.com
Tue Apr 18 14:00:13 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 18 April 2017 13:03:11 CEST Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
> > s that right? Here I'm successfully cloning a volume across two storage pools:
>

> Yes, it works but....
> Source image:
> image: /var/lib/libvirt/images/sda/143177
> file format: qcow2
> virtual size: 5.0G (5368709120 bytes)
> disk size: 902M
> cluster_size: 65536
> Format specific information:
>     compat: 0.10
>     refcount bits: 16
>
> Dest image:
> image: /var/lib/libvirt/images/sda/test
> file format: qcow2
> virtual size: 5.0G (5368709120 bytes)
> disk size: 902M
> cluster_size: 65536
> Format specific information:
>     compat: 0.10
>     refcount bits: 16
>

> But
> -rw------- 1 root 908M Apr 18 13:59 143177
> -rw------- 1 root 902M Apr 18 13:59 test
>
> Why size is changed on destination image? In case of cp
> --spwarse=always size does not changed.

As Michal and Daniel said, this should not be a problem.  Also, you can
check the content is the same using virt-diff (part of libguestfs):

  # virt-diff \
      -a /var/lib/libvirt/images/sda/143177 \
      -A /var/lib/libvirt/images/sda/test > log

Most probably log should be empty, since the actual content of the
image did not change.

--
Pino Toscano