[libvirt] [RFC] Adopting 'Tested-by' tag (and probably other tags)?

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Wed Apr 26 08:27:00 UTC 2017

On 04/26/2017 09:55 AM, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I was wondering if the upstream would be receptive to adding a
> 'Tested-by' tag for patches that had someone give tested feedback on the
> list.

If we are doing this, I suggest having 'Reviewed-by' too. It's merely
the same effort (if not a greater one).

> I realize that if it's not automated (via Git hooks or similar), it can
> become "lossy", i.e. if Joe posts v1 of a patch, you give a 'Tested-by',
> then there are two scenarios that immediately spring to mind:
>
>   (1) Joe respins a v2 to make some corrections, adds your 'Tested-by'
>       tag, and whoever applies the patch picks it up -- all good.
>
>   (b) However, if a v2 was _not_ necessary, then whoever is applying the
>       patch / series must remember to add the tag -- "lossy".
>
> Thoughts / remarks / rotten tomatoes welcome.

I think this is the clue for having this. If we can somehow make it easy
for contributors to append appropriate lines to the commit messages of
theirs then this has a chance to live. Otherwise, if I have to manually
copy-paste (or even worse write all the lines out manually), then the
chances as slim. Take a look at SoB line: it's very easy to configure
and everybody uses it now.

I like the idea and I'm up for it, but frankly I have no idea how
developers in other teams do it.

Michal