[libvirt] Repack git repo?

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Thu Aug 3 08:14:02 UTC 2017

On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 08:57:47AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 09:16:13AM +0200, Michal Privoznik wrote:
>> So I was checking out the repo the other day and it took ages. So it got
>> me thinking what might be the problem. Looks like a part of it is that
>> our pack is split among ~250 files. Therefore when somebody does
>> checkout git needs to repack it into a single pack every time. And this
>> may take ages on such slow processor as Atom is. However, reading some
>> docs on this it looks like 'git gc --aggressive' is not advised rather
>> than 'git repack'.
>
>I created a 'tmp' repo and ran 'repack' on it, but afaict, there's no
>appreciable difference.

Other thought I had was having the po/*.po files removed from the repo.
DV would add them to the release, but they would not take 100MB in the
repository when they are not needed for development builds.  It would
not cut down on the data that need to be transferred since they are in
the history, but at least would take some weight off the repo.  After
few years we could do a split as linux did and have one repo with
complete history and one that goes from v4.0.0 onwards.

Just my $.02