[libvirt] [v4 0/9] Support cache tune in libvirt

Marcelo Tosatti mtosatti at redhat.com
Tue Feb 14 17:14:41 UTC 2017

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 09:37:02AM +0100, Martin Kletzander wrote:

> >>Libvirt will not aware this after it starts running, so we should not allow operate /sys/fs/.
> >
> >Are you saying that usage of the resctrlfs filesystem should not be
> >allowed after libvirt starts? I don't think this is correct.
> >

> In some cases the only way to accomplish keeping consistency would be
> saying that if you are using libvirt, you should not change anything
> behind its back.  It would be really wrong in this case, mainly when you
> need to set the allocation for other apps, especially when there is
> nicely designed file that you can lock.
>
> >>we will scan for all directors while the libvirt daemon begin running, and libvirt will remove exist directories if no tasks inside of it.
> >

> Definitely not.  What if someone wants to create another allocation?
> They start by creating a directory, then libvirtd removes it before they
> manage to add anything to tasks.

If the other application is properly using the filesystem lock, then:

OTHER APP, CREATE PROCEDURE:

	1. grab fs lock.
	2. create directory.
	3. write schemata.
	4. write tasks.
	5. release fs lock

Any operation that writes to any file in resctrlfs will first grab
the lock. So the problem being discussed is handled.

> >>As user create a new directory after libvirt running, it don’t notice newly created directory under /sys/fs/resctrl.
> >>
> >>That will lead mess, this should be forbidden.
> >
> >Well, this means that only libvirt can use the resctrlfs filesystem.
> >
> >This forbids other applications which require allocation
> >of CAT resources from being used.
> >
> >Its simple to fix it: move the scanning of resctrlfs data from libvirt
> >initialization time to:
> >
> >	- VM initialization time
> >	and
> >	- virConnectGetCapabilities time
> >
> >The second case is necessary to get updated free space information.
> >

> Just VM initialization time could be enough as virConnectGetCapabilities
> would just know the total and free size would be reported in an API (if
> I rememer the discussion correctly)

Ok so resctrlfs has to be rescanned in whatever location the
free size is reported to the user.