[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next]
[libvirt] [PATH v9 00/12] Support cache tune in libvirt
- From: Eli Qiao <liyong qiao intel com>
- To: libvir-list redhat com
- Cc: mkletzan redhat com, mtosatti redhat com, qiaoliyong gmail com
- Subject: [libvirt] [PATH v9 00/12] Support cache tune in libvirt
- Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 15:22:44 +0800
Addressed comment from v9 -> v8
* New public API to query cache usage
* Fix core dump while multiple tasks are added.
Addressed comment from v8 -> v7
* Patch subject prefix.
* Move some of cpu related information to virhostcpu.c.
* Fix some memory leak in src/utils/resctrl.c
Martin & Marcelo:
* Don't remove directories which are not maintained by libvirt.
Addressed comment from v7 -> v6
* Fix flock usage while VM initialization.
Addressed comment from v6 -> v5
* Support other APPs to operate /sys/fs/resctrl at same time
Libvirt will scan /sys/fs/resctrl again before doing cache allocation.
patch 10 will address this.
Addressed comment from v4 -> v5:
* Several typos
* Use flock instead of virFileLock
Addressed comment from v3 -> v4:
Daniel & Marcelo:
* Added concurrence support
Addressed comment from v2 -> v3:
* Fixed coding style, passed `make check` and `make syntax-check`
* Variables renaming and move from header file to c file.
* For locking/mutex support, no progress.
There are some discussion from mailing list, but I can not find a better
way to add locking support without performance impact.
I'll explain the process and please help to advice what shoud we do.
1) Get the cache left value on each bank of the host. This should be
shared amount all VMs.
2) Calculate the schemata on the bank based on all created resctrl
3) Calculate the default schemata by scaning all domain's schemata.
4) Flush default schemata to /sys/fs/resctrl/schemata
1) Remove the resctrl domain of that VM
2) Recalculate default schemata
3) Flush default schemata to /sys/fs/resctrl/schemata
The key point is that all VMs shares /sys/fs/resctrl/schemata, and
when a VM create a resctrl domain, the schemata of that VM depends on
the default schemata and all other exsited schematas. So a global
mutex is reqired.
Before calculate a schemata or update default schemata, libvirt
should gain this global mutex.
I will try to think more about how to support this gracefully in next
* Added vcpu support for cachetune, this will allow user to define which
vcpu using which cache allocation bank.
<cachetune id='0' host_id=0 size='3072' unit='KiB' vcpus='0,1'/>
vcpus is a cpumap, the vcpu pids will be added to tasks file
* Added cdp compatible, user can specify l3 cache even host enable cdp.
See patch 8.
On a cdp enabled host, specify l3code/l3data by
<cachetune id='0' host_id='0' type='l3' size='3072' unit='KiB'/>
This will create a schemata like:
* Would you please help to test if the functions work.
* Xml test case, I have no time to work on this yet, would you please
show me an example, would like to amend it later.
This series patches are for supportting CAT featues, which also
called cache tune in libvirt.
First to expose cache information which could be tuned in capabilites XML.
Then add new domain xml element support to add cacahe bank which will apply
on this libvirt domain.
This series patches add a util file `resctrl.c/h`, an interface to talk with
linux kernel's system fs.
There are still one TODO left:
1. Expose a new public interface to set cachetune lively.
Some discussion about this feature support can be found from:
Eli Qiao (12):
Resctrl: Add some utils functions
Resctrl: expose cache information to capabilities
Resctrl: Add new xml element to support cache tune
Resctrl: Add private interfaces to operate cache bank
Qemu: Set cache tune while booting a new domain.
Resctrl: enable l3code/l3data
Resctrl: Make sure l3data/l3code are pairs
Resctrl: Compatible mode for cdp enabled
Resctrl: concurrence support
Resctrl: Scan resctrl before doing cache allocation
Resctrl: Add Public API for nodecachestats
Resctrl: Add nodecachestats
daemon/remote.c | 67 +++
docs/schemas/domaincommon.rng | 46 ++
include/libvirt/libvirt-host.h | 32 ++
include/libvirt/virterror.h | 1 +
po/POTFILES.in | 1 +
src/Makefile.am | 1 +
src/conf/capabilities.c | 56 +++
src/conf/capabilities.h | 23 +
src/conf/domain_conf.c | 182 +++++++
src/conf/domain_conf.h | 19 +
src/driver-hypervisor.h | 7 +
src/libvirt-host.c | 41 ++
src/libvirt_private.syms | 12 +
src/libvirt_public.syms | 1 +
src/nodeinfo.c | 64 +++
src/nodeinfo.h | 1 +
src/qemu/qemu_capabilities.c | 8 +
src/qemu/qemu_driver.c | 18 +
src/qemu/qemu_process.c | 54 ++
src/remote/remote_driver.c | 52 ++
src/remote/remote_protocol.x | 25 +-
src/remote_protocol-structs | 16 +
src/util/virerror.c | 1 +
src/util/virhostcpu.c | 186 ++++++-
src/util/virhostcpu.h | 6 +
src/util/virresctrl.c | 1082 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
src/util/virresctrl.h | 96 ++++
tools/virsh-host.c | 49 ++
28 files changed, 2129 insertions(+), 18 deletions(-)
create mode 100644 src/util/virresctrl.c
create mode 100644 src/util/virresctrl.h
[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next]