[libvirt] OSX Homebrew support note ;)

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jan 24 10:33:31 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 03:29:01PM +0000, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 23 Jan 2017, at 11:38, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 09:55:53AM +0000, Justin Clift wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > I'm looking at (what I hope is the correct) configuration file for the
> > build:
> >
> >  https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/master/Formula/libvirt.rb
>
> Yep, that's the right one.
>
> > and see '--without-qemu' being passed - what is the reason for that ? It
> > looks like you're building libvirtd, so enabling QEMU thereafter should
> > not have any significantly difficulties. Certainly we expect the QEMU
> > driver code to be platform agnostic - all the Linux specific bits are
> > believed to be wrapped in conditionals.
> >
> > IOW if you see build errors with QEMU on OS-X could you tell us what they
> > are.
>
> From memory (it's been a few years!), it was because the QEMU that builds
> in Homebrew wouldn't talk to Libvirt anyway.  So it was useless to add the
> support in.

That's odd - except where Win32 is concerned, I'm surprised if there's
a way to build QEMU such that it would not work with libvirt. The only
thing that's technically non-portable about the way we manage QEMU is
the UNIX socket support, but that's available for every platform except
Win32.

> That being said, I do remember someone mentioning they should probably
> worth together ok these days.  But, I'm not sure if anyone's checked
> and/or really tried to make it work.

So lets enable QEMU in libvirt and for OS-X and just let people file
bugs if they find bits that don't work.

|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|