[libvirt] RFC: Use __attribute__ ((cleanup) in libvirt ?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jan 10 13:55:02 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 02:17:00PM +0100, Martin Kletzander wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 10:00:31AM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> > > Only reason I see for not using it is the "temporary" mess it will
> > > cause.  Yes, we can change to that incrementally, but it will take some
> > > time and effort and it will never be all of the code that uses it.
> > > Don't get me wrong, I would love using more builtin compiler features
> > > and shortening the code here and there.  I'm just worried this
> > > particular one might be more disrupting than useful.  Most of us are
> > > pretty used to the code flow we already have and there's nothing you
> > > can't achieve without the cleanup attribute.
> > >
> > > And yes, I used quotation marks around the word temporary intentionally.
> >
> > Yes, that's why I thought of it as something that would make for a GSoc
> > project - have someone do a full conversion of particular areas of code.
> > eg convert all of util/ or convert the domain XML parser, etc. Basically
> > if we did it, I think we'd want to have entire files converted at once.
> > Only converting individual methods ad-hoc would be quite messy.
> >

> Yes, I know, but that still doesn't mean all will be converted,
> unfortunately.

> > > I would love to know if anyone actually tried doing that lately.  Given
> > > how often we are broken with mingw and we only foind out thanks to our
> > > test suite (and sometomes the fixing takes more than a release cycle), I
> > > think nobody does that and from what I know, it might not even work.
> >
> > We have mingw in the CI system for a while now and its generally fixed
> > as quickly as native arch builds are fixed these days.
> >

> Yes.  Now.  But there was a build-breaker for several months that nobody
> cared about.  Pity the builds are truncated so I can't track it back
> properly.  My point is that I don't remember anyone asking about it
> during the whole time, just us trying to come up with fixes.

> > > I'm trying to initialize all variables, always, so I don't see this as a
> > > problem, but there are some of us that (I have the feeling) are trying
> > > to initialize as few as possible, so this (although it's a different
> > > story) might still be a problem for someone.
> >
> > We pretty much have the same problem already with 'goto cleanup' - you
> > have to make sure everything is initialized sanely before the first
> > "goto cleanup". So I think we're safe in this respect already and
> > the cleanup attributes wouldn't make it any more complex.
> >

> Yeah, but with __attribute__((cleanup)), you need to make sure
> everything is properly initialized immediatelly as opposed to before
> first cleanup.  I know it sounds easy, and it is.  And I love doing that
> even without __attribute__((cleanup)), I just see the potential for
> error.  Hopefully we'd be able to do a syntax-check rule for checking
> uninitialized variables with __attribute__((cleanup)).

Yeah, it'd be easy to write a rule to manadate NULL initialization
for all pointers vars with cleanup attached.

Personally, I'm in favour of explicit initialization of every single
stack variable no matter whether it happens to be required by the
current code structure or not.

|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|