[libvirt] Query regarding sharing of vcpu's (cpu alloc ratio 1.0) between VM's

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Fri Jan 13 05:58:47 UTC 2017

[It's a good thing to keep the list Cc'd, someone else might have better answer]

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 10:33:23AM -0600, BharaniKumar Gedela wrote:
>Hi Martin,
>
>To be more clear on the requirement, I have a kind of VM which needs 2
>vcpu's. One of the vcpu is dedicated for a specific process in the VM and
>the other vcpu can be shared by other VM's of the same kind.
>To be more clear, each VM is having 2 processes, one cpu intensive which
>got a dedicated vcpu alloted and the other process is a lightweight process
>which needs less amount of cpu so it can be shared with the other Vm's
>light weight processes.
>Example:
>There are 10 VM's of same type which need 2 vcpu's each (1 dedicated and 1
>shared):
>VM#: vcpu1, vcpu2
>VM1: 1, 11
>VM2: 2, 11
>VM3: 3, 11
>VM4: 4, 11
>VM5: 5, 11
>VM6: 6, 11
>VM7:7, 11
>VM8: 8, 11
>VM: 9, 11
>VM:10, 11

OK, so this is easy to do in libvirt.  You just use <vcpupin/>

>IS there a way openstack nova-scheduler can provision the same (does this
>need libvirt changes if we want to provision via nova-scheduler)?or it can
>only be done via boot via xml (manually via templates in virsh)?

However, I don't know about openstack.  But definitely there's no change
needed in libvirt.  There might be some people from openstack on this
list, but it's mainly libvirt-related

>Regards,
>Bharani..
>
>On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 2:26 AM, Martin Kletzander <mkletzan at redhat.com>
>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 11:13:52AM -0600, BharaniKumar Gedela wrote:
>>
>>> HI,
>>>
>>> I have a Q about sharing a vcpu across Vm's (cpu alloc ratio 1.0 and HT
>>> not
>>> enabled)?
>>>
>>> I have a Use case where a VM needs vcpu's and one of the vcpu is dedicated
>>> to the VM for some traffic processing. We want the other vcpu which is
>>> used
>>> for control processing and can be shared with a similar VM's control