[libvirt] How to generate better API documentation?

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Mon Jan 16 08:52:32 UTC 2017

On 16.01.2017 08:24, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> now that we more or less agreed to use some new features (i.e. automatic free() when a variable goes out of the scope [1]), and with our NEWS efforts, do you think it is finally the right time to fix generation of our API docs too?
>
> What I mean? Look here: [2] People use '@variable' notation hoping that the generator will put a link there. Or that our generator would allow us to:
>
> typedef enum {
>  A = X,
>  B = Y,
>  C = Z,
> # ifdef VIR_ENUM_SENTINELS
>  VIR_ENUM_LAST
> # endif
> } virEnum;
>
> where X, Y, Z come from another enum.

Also, there is no link validation. For instance, I'm going through our
network docs [3] reading about trustGuestRxFilters. And the paragraph
links non-existent anchor #elementSNICS in domain XML page.
While this one can be fixed easily, checking for others would be a waste
of time.

Michal

3: http://libvirt.org/formatnetwork.html#elementsMetadata