[libvirt] OSX Homebrew support note ;)

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Jan 23 11:38:20 UTC 2017

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 09:55:53AM +0000, Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Compiling Libvirt directly from latest git master head is now supported on
> OSX Homebrew.  It's as simple as:
>
>   $ brew install --HEAD libvirt
>   $ virsh -v
>   3.0.0
>
> This should make development of Libvirt and related virtualisation things
> much easier on OSX. :)
>
> The credit for this goes to Roman Bogorodskiy and Homebrew developer
> "ilovezfs" (CC-d), for adding a functional rpcgen to Homebrew so we can
> generate the needed RPC bindings during the build (previously missing).

I'm looking at (what I hope is the correct) configuration file for the
build:

  https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/master/Formula/libvirt.rb

and see '--without-qemu' being passed - what is the reason for that ? It
looks like you're building libvirtd, so enabling QEMU thereafter should
not have any significantly difficulties. Certainly we expect the QEMU
driver code to be platform agnostic - all the Linux specific bits are
believed to be wrapped in conditionals.

IOW if you see build errors with QEMU on OS-X could you tell us what they
are. We'd really want to see the QEMU driver enabled

|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|