[libvirt] non-standard types in remote XDR definitions

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jan 25 15:59:56 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 10:55:37AM -0500, Matt Broadstone wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been experimenting with the remote protocol defined in the
> `src/remote/remote_protocol.x`
> (https://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=blob_plain;f=src/remote/remote_protocol.x;hb=HEAD),
> and noticed that there a number of types used that are not defined in
> the XDR RFC, specifically: unsigned char, char, unsigned short, short
> (I might have missed one or two).  I'm wondering if these are missing
> typedefs, or whether they are custom extensions to the RFC.  Does
> anyone have more information on this? If the latter case is the fact,
> are these values padded to 4 bytes per the spec?

The libvirt RPC protocol is an internal impl detail, not for 3rd party
use. So our only goal is to be compatible with rpcgen binaries that are
used during builds on supported platforms. As such what's in the RFC
is not particularly relevant.

|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|