[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] change x86 default machine type to Q35?

Eduardo Habkost ehabkost at redhat.com
Mon Jul 10 17:47:30 UTC 2017

(CCing libvir-list)

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 07:45:54PM +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 10:59:43AM -0300, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > We don't really need a complicated rule set, we would just recommend q35
> > > by default. Libvirt will try to create the default machine and if fails
> > > for some reason (what would it be?) it can switch to PC.
> > >
> > > The advanced logic would be "old systems should use PC", where old
> > > means Windows XP and before and so on. But this logic should appear
> > > in management layers above.
> >
> > In this case, is there any difference between "changing the
> > default to q35" and "recommending q35", for libvirt users?
> >
> > --
> > Eduardo
>
> No but libvirt users do not manage e.g. pci slots manually.
> They do not use the -cdrom flag.
> Etc.
> So changing the default is unlikely to break things for them.

I see.  If this part is really true (can libvirt developers
confirm that?), then the proposed end result makes sense (not
having a default for running QEMU directly, but changing default
to "q35" for people using libvirt).

But I don't see why we would need a new mechanism to make QEMU
recommend a machine-type for libvirt, if libvirt could simply
choose its own default (or maybe also refuse to pick a default,
if libvirt developers decide that's the best solution).

--
Eduardo