[libvirt] [RFC]Add new mdev interface for QoS

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jul 28 08:10:10 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 12:01:58PM -0600, Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 17:17:48 +0100
> "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 10:43:43AM -0600, Alex Williamson wrote:
> > > [cc +libvir-list]

> > > I think what you're asking for is just some standardization of a QoS
> > > attribute_group which a vendor can optionally include within the
> > > existing mdev_parent_ops.mdev_attr_groups.  The mdev core will
> > > transparently enable this, but it really only provides the standard,
> > > all of the support code is left for the vendor.  I'm fine with that,
> > > but of course the trouble with and sort of standardization is arriving
> > > at an agreed upon standard.  Are there QoS knobs that are generic
> > > across any mdev device type?  Are there others that are more specific
> > > to vGPU?  Are there existing examples of this that we can steal their
> > > specification?
> > >
> > > Also, mdev devices are not necessarily the exclusive users of the
> > > hardware, we can have a native user such as a local X client.  They're
> > > not an mdev user, so we can't support them via the mdev_attr_group.
> > > Does there need to be a per mdev parent QoS attribute_group standard
> > > for somehow defining the QoS of all the child mdev devices, or perhaps
> > > representing the remaining host QoS attributes?
> > >
> > > Ultimately libvirt and upper level management tools would be the
> > > consumer of these control knobs, so let's immediately get libvirt
> > > involved in the discussion.  Thanks,
> >
> > My view on this from libvirt side is pretty much unchanged since the
> > last time we discussed this.
> >
> > We would like the kernel maintainers to define standard sets of properties
> > for mdevs, whether global to all mdevs, or scoped to certain classes of
> > mdev (eg a class=gpu). These properties would be exported in sysfs, with
> > one file per property.
>
> Yes, I think that much of the mechanics are obvious (standardized
> sysfs layout, one property per file, properties under the device node
> in sysfs, etc).  Are you saying that you don't want to be consulted on
> which properties are exposed and how they operate and therefore won't
> complain regardless of what we implement in the kernel? ;)

Well ultimately the kernel maintainers know what is possible from the
hardware / driver POV, so yeah, I think we can mostly leave it upto
you what individual things need to be exposed - not much different
scenario from all the knobs we already exposed for physical devices.

> I'm hoping that libvirt folks have some experience managing basic
> scheduling level QoS attributes and might have some input as to what
> sorts of things work well vs what seems like a good idea, but falls
> apart or isn't useful in practice.

Sure, happy to give feedback where desired.