[libvirt] An API to copy files.

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Mon Jul 24 08:52:15 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 16:28:45 -0300, Julio Faracco wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Unfortunately, my company does not allow access to IRC.
> I need to ask question by email.
>
> Why doesn't libvirt have any method to copy files?
> A kind of virFileCopy(src, dst) for example.

Do you mean a public API (1) or a helper method for internal use(2)?

(1) Because copying files is not libvirt's job.

(2) Because apparently nobody needed it yet.

> Libvirt has a lots of helper functions but it does not have a
> specific method to copy a file.

Solutions:

(1) Libvirt has method which allows to create a new storage volume by
copying data from the old one.

(2) Write such method if you need it and can justify it.