[libvirt] RFC: Creating mediated devices with libvirt

John Ferlan jferlan at redhat.com
Thu Jun 22 21:02:15 UTC 2017

On 06/22/2017 11:52 AM, Pavel Hrdina wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 09:28:57AM -0600, Alex Williamson wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 17:14:48 +0200
>> Erik Skultety <eskultet at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> So, just for clarification of the concept, the device with ^this UUID will have
>>> had to be defined by the nodedev API by the time we start to edit the domain
>>> XML in this manner in which case the only thing the autocreate=yes would do is
>>> to actually create the mdev according to the nodedev config, right? Continuing
>>> with that thought, if UUID doesn't refer to any of the inactive configs it will
>>> be an error I suppose? What about the fact that only one vgpu type can live on
>>> the GPU? even if you can successfully identify a device using the UUID in this
>>> way, you'll still face the problem, that other types might be currently
>>> occupying the GPU and need to be torn down first, will this be automated as
>>> well in what you suggest? I assume not.

>>> Aha, so if a device gets torn down on shutdown, we won't face the problem with
>>> some other devices being active, all of them will have to be in the inactive
>>> state because they got torn down during the last shutdown - that would work.
>>

>> I'm not familiar with how inactive devices would be defined in the
>> nodedev API, would someone mind explaining or providing an example
>> please?  I don't understand where the metadata is stored that describes
>> the what and where of a given UUID.  Thanks,
>
> It would basically copy what we do for domains.  Currently there is
> virNodeDeviceCreateXML() which takes the XML definitions and creates a
> new active node device and virNodeDeviceDestroy() which takes as
> argument an object of existing active node device.

FWIW: (Just in case someone doesn't know yet...) The only current
CreateXML consumer is for NPIV/vHBA devices. As I've pointed out before
I see a lot of similarities w/ mdev because they both have a dependency
on "something else" in order for proper creation. NPIV/vHBA requires an
HBA (scsi_hostN) that has a sysfs structure with a vport_create function
to create the vHBA. The HBA scsi_hostN is instantiated during
udevEnumerateDevices processing while the vHBA scsi_hostM is created
during udevEventHandleCallback.

The CreateXML provides an essentially 'transient' model to describe
a(the) vHBA device(s). After host reboot, one would have to run virsh
nodedev-create file.xml in order to recreate their vHBA.

In order to create more permanent vHBA's, it's possible to define a
storage pool that would create the vHBA when the storage pool is
started. So while there's no DefineXML support, there is a model that
does provide a mechanism to have persistence without needing to have a
DefineXML for node devices.

> We would extend the functionality with new APIs:
>
>   - virNodeDeviceCreate() which would take as argument an object of
>     existing inactive node device.
>
>   - virNodeDeviceDefineXML() would define the node device as inactive.
>
> With the virNodeDeviceDefineXML() you would create a list of predefined
> inactive devices which could be obtained by
> virConnectListAllNodeDevices() for example.

Given various experiences with HBA/vHBA, I wonder if we should just let
udev (and it's predecessor HAL) be the only thing that "defines" what a
node device is (keeping vHBA for historical purposes).

Of perhaps related concern/interest - there was a recent series on list
related to mdev and some underlying udev/systemd/kernel issue that
results in "inconsistent" failures. The proposed fix involved wait
loops. I pointed out to Erik that a prior concern over any wait loop I
would add for problems with vHBA initialization was that they could
unnecessary waits for libvirtd startup processing.

Additionally, if we added a read/process the define'd XML's processing
to node device, would that then run into troubles and cause startup
failures. Do we ignore failures? Do we continue to add wait threads to
get specific data that wasn't present at some point in time but will be
soon. The node device initialization is fairly early on (network,
interface, storage, node device, ...).

John

And as I've seen written by Erik before - I'll reply to the top level
with another idea rather than just looking like a long complaint ;-).