[libvirt] 'make check' fails (qemuhotplugTest) with libvirt fakeroot build, starting with 3.1.0 release

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Mar 6 11:12:20 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 12:05:58PM +0100, Predrag Ivanovic wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Mar 2017 07:06:22 +0100
> Michal Privoznik wrote:
>
> >This is the problem. fakeroot tells the test that it is running under
> >root user therefore it tries to access some dirs there (which is denied
> >because of fakeroot). Well, we shouldn't mkdir() from our test suite
> >neither - will look into that.
> >BTW: why do you run tests under fakeroot? why not run them under your
> >regular user?
>
> When I build the libvirt package (or any other package on the system), all stages (configure, make, make check, make install) run under fakeroot,
> for security reasons and to catch if the port is broken so it tries to do something silly :)
> I am OK making the exception and building libvirt as root, if that makes your life easier, though,
> it's not that big of the deal.
> Or I could just skip the 'make check' altogether, I haven't decided yet.

You should *never* build libvirt as root, nor run tests as root. The
libvirt code (and in fact any software package) should always be built as
an unprivileged non-root user. The libvirt 'make check' should work as a
non-privileged user too. Only the 'make install' step requires elevatd
privileges, and that's only if you want to install into a privileged
location like /usr or /opt. Even the install step can run unprivileged
if using somewhere under $HOME as an install location.

|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|