[libvirt] [GSOC] project libvirt fuzzing

D L srwx4096 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 15:02:38 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 4:04 AM, Michal Privoznik <mprivozn at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On 03/21/2017 07:04 PM, D L wrote:
> > Yes, I compiled, installed, and used the binaries successfully.
> > Could you confirm the location of bug list is the following, please?
> >
> > https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?component=libvirt&
> product=Virtualization%20Tools
>
> This will fetch all bug there are/ever were for upstream libvirt,
> regardless of their state. You want just opened ones. Thus this should be:
>
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&
> bug_status=ASSIGNED&component=libvirt&product=
> Virtualization%20Tools&query_format=advanced
>
> > https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=
> Virtualization%20Tools&component=libvirt
>
> This is for entering a new bug. Unless you've found one, you don't need
> this.
>
> Michal

Hi Michal,

To keep the thread consistent, I am writing now about two Bugs here which
probably
have been mentioned in other thread. So I am watching two bugs, and trying
to decide
one to fix. They are 1431652  and  1434550.

For 1434550, I am reading  ./src/nodeinfo.c and several other related files
for a bug
about possible incorrect number of socket when executing 'virsh
capabilities' on a host.
It seems this totally depends on design decision. When showing cell number
= 2 and
socket = 1 in the XML CPU topology in a 2 CPU sockets machine indeed kinda
of
confusing, if one does not read the XML carefully, or is not familiar with
the notion of
"cell". Would people want it to be changed or leave it in the current state?

For 1431652, I am able to reproduce the error. And I also tried to use
absolute path
 which resulted in different output and behavior as the following from
'history' command

  513  truncate -s 100M test-backing.img
  514  pwd
  515  qemu-img create /var/tmp/test-overlay.img -f qcow2 -b
'json:{"driver":"raw","file":
{"driver":"file","filename":"/var/tmp/test-backing.img"}}'
  516  ls -lh
  517  history
root@<host> :/var/tmp# !507
qemu-img info test-overlay.img
image: test-overlay.img
file format: qcow2
virtual size: 100M (104857600 bytes)
disk size: 196K
cluster_size: 65536
backing file:
json:{"driver":"raw","file":{"driver":"file","filename":"/var/tmp/test-backing.img"}}
Format specific information:
    compat: 1.1
    lazy refcounts: false
    refcount bits: 16
    corrupt: false
root@<host> :/var/tmp# !508
virt-install --import --name tmp-relpaths --memory 1024 --disk
/var/tmp/test-overlay.img
WARNING  No operating system detected, VM performance may suffer. Specify
an OS
 with --os-variant for optimal results.
WARNING  Graphics requested but DISPLAY is not set. Not running virt-viewer.
WARNING  No console to launch for the guest, defaulting to --wait -1

Starting install...
Creating domain...
                     |    0 B  00:00:00
Domain installation still in progress. Waiting for installation to complete.

At the end, it hanged and I had to terminated the 'virsh install' by ctrl +
C. So I guess
 the expected behavior when using 'virsh install' with relative path should
be the same.
Is that right?

I may want to try both of the bugs and maybe
one of them can be solved in a timely manner. Or would you recommend one,
or other
one than those two? (I did attempt to search something like xml parser or
cmd generation
bugs which could be closer to the fuzzing project)

Dan