[libvirt] Symptoms of main loop slowing down in libvirtd

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Tue May 2 10:37:22 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 02, 2017 at 16:01:40 +0530, Prerna wrote:

[please don't top-post on technical lists]

> Thanks for the quick response Peter !
> This ratifies the basic approach I had in mind.
> It needs some (not-so-small) cleanup of the qemu driver code, and I have
> already started cleaning up some of it. I am planning to have a constant
> number of event handler threads to start with. I'll try adding this as a
> configurable parameter in qemu.conf once basic functionality is completed.

That is wrong, since you can't guarantee that it will not lock up. Since
the workers handling monitor events tend to call monitor commands
themselves it's possible that it will get stuck due to unresponsive
qemu. Without having a worst-case-scenario of a thread per VM you can't
guarantee that the pool won't be depleted.

If you want to fix this properly, you'll need a dynamic pool.