[libvirt] [RFE] Raise enumeration limit for virDomain-{ListAllSnapshots, SnapshotListNames}?

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Thu May 11 11:35:24 UTC 2017

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 12:35:18PM +0200, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
> I've got a server with multiple guests, and wanted to quickly check how
> many of them had snapshots (and in turn, how many snapshots).
>
> So I quickly wrote the below script to enumerate the snapshots using the
> virDomainSnapshotListNames() API, and it turned out, one of the guests
> had 1329 snaphots (created by a script for testing):
>
>     libvirt.libvirtError: too many remote undefineds: 1329 > 1024
>
> DanPB on IRC said we could likely raise that limit:
>
>     "we can likely increase that limit, since the rpc message size would
>     allow many more before the ultimate limit is hit"
>
> He also points out the error message could be improved and is a sign of
> a bug:
>
>     "'undefined' is a perl NULL that must come from a bug in the rpc
>     generator"

Ah, Dan already just posted patches for both the above issues:

    https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2017-May/msg00295.html
    -- remote: increase max storage pools, nwfilters & snapshots to
    16384

    https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2017-May/msg00293.html
    -- rpc: improve error message for bounds check

Thanks!

--
/kashyap