[libvirt] [GSoC] Project of libvirt/qemu fuzzing

Dan srwx4096 at gmail.com
Tue May 30 19:41:46 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 02:08:54PM +0100, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Dan <srwx4096 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The project of qemu command line fuzzing has been accepted as a GSoC
> > project [1] [2]. As a student participating Google Summer of Code
> > activity, I am extremely exitited to get started today on May 30th,
> > 2017.
>
> Welcome!  Great project idea, I am looking forward to your contributions.

Thank you very much. I am very glad!
> Do you have a particular fuzzer in mind or will you write a custom
> fuzzer from scratch?

I planned to come with a list of fuzzer candidates and try them all. But
now I am only playing with AFL and I would not start writing from
scratch until I know for sure what I really need to do.
So next, while I try with AFL I can start looking into fuzzers
particularly with XML grammer generation or something like that
potentially modifiable/extensible by ourselves.
> I'm not aware of anyone using Google's OSS-Fuzz in the libvirt and
> QEMU communities yet.  Maybe it would be a good platform to build
> upon:
yeah, that's a very interesting project. I do not think there has been
serious discussion about it among libvirt and QEMU communities except
some mentioning [1]. I think it could be actually benificial for this
project if at some point we start working on oss-fuzz for libvirt
because they share the fundamental ideas, though the proposal of this
fuzzing project starts from a different perspective.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2017-May/msg00196.html

Cheers,

Dan