[libvirt] RFE: virsh list improvement (--description and --details)

Pavel Hrdina phrdina at redhat.com
Fri May 5 08:09:39 UTC 2017

On Fri, May 05, 2017 at 01:17:15AM +0200, Przemysław Sztoch wrote:

> > On 4 May 2017, at 17:03, Michal Privoznik <mprivozn at redhat.com> wrote:
> >> 2. Please add new columns to virsh list (for —details):
> >> a) CPUs
> >> b) MaxMem
> >> c) Flags: p-persistent, t-transient, a-autostart, m-managed save, s-with snapshot(s)
> >> and total sum for column vCPUs and Mem.
> >>
> >> In my opinion it is very popular use case. It will help you control vCPU and memory overcommiting in very simple and fast way.
> >> Put flags on list will prevents many additional commands from being executed. You will get all important information in one place.
> >
> > Frankly, this one looks at the edge of the scope of virsh list. I mean,
> > I view virsh as a simple CLI utility that you can build your own scripts
> > on the top of.
> > Also, you want 5 flags. Cool. But tomorrow somebody else wants another 5
> > (title, description, has given device, etc.). The possibilities are
> > endless. I suggest writing your own management application on the top of
> > libvirt.
>
> In my opinion you are wrong. It is very natural place for more information about your domains.
> Of course, everybody can build his own scripts, but bash script will be too much slow and too much complicated for typical tech stuff.

I agree with Michal, this is out of scope of "virsh list" command.
To get CPUs or MaxMem you can simply use "virsh domstats".  Instead
of adding "Flags" you can limit the "virsh list" with parameters.

Virsh is a simple CLI utility, if you require more advanced
administration of your guests and host I would suggest to switch
from bash to python, we have a fully implemented python binding.

Pavel