[libvirt] CLI management tool

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Thu May 11 07:17:39 UTC 2017

Dear list,

you might have seen a discussion about virsh, and adding some new
features to it [1]. While the feature was rejected, it got me thinking.
What options do we offer for sysadmins that:

a) want to stay in command line
b) want higher level mgmt of their domains
c) yet want to manage a single host

Basically, virsh is just too low level for some operations (and using it
in non-interactive mode from a script can mean hundreds of connections).
Then we have virt-manager, which suits b) and c), but it's not a CLI
tool. Therefore I was thinking whether we should start a new project on
the top of libvirt that would fit all three points.

Personally, I've never been a sysadmin, so perhaps I am not the best one
to write the tool. But I'm open for suggestions.

What do you think?

Michal

1: https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2017-May/msg00051.html