[libvirt] Should we switch to a different JSON library?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Nov 7 13:38:51 UTC 2017

On Tue, Nov 07, 2017 at 01:28:00PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 07, 2017 at 02:05:25PM +0100, Martin Kletzander wrote:
> >  4) The are workarounds for it in the code
>
> I don't recall what these are now ?

libguestfs needs to disable some warnings around yajl code:

  /* GCC can't work out that the YAJL_IS_<foo> test is sufficient to
   * ensure that YAJL_GET_<foo> later doesn't return NULL.
   */
  #if defined(__GNUC__) && __GNUC__ >= 6 /* gcc >= 6 */
  #pragma GCC diagnostic ignored "-Wnull-dereference"
  #endif

However we don't need any other workarounds.

As you say yajl "just works".

It might however be a problem in future if JSON itself was changed,
eg. new types, fix the trailing comma problem, etc.  We'd want a more
responsive upstream to handle that.

	- - -

Martin, did you look at the dependencies of these other libraries?
If they depend on other stuff, that could make them harder to use.
Also are they all available in at least Fedora, Debian, OpenSUSE and
Arch/AUR?

Rich.