[libvirt] Redesigning Libvirt: Adopting use of a safe language

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Tue Nov 21 17:01:28 UTC 2017

> When I worked in OpenStack it was a constant battle to get people to
> consider enhancements to libvirt instead of reinventing it in Python.
> It was a hard sell because most python dev just didn't want to use C
> at all because it has a high curve to contributors, even if libvirt
> as a community is welcoming. As a result OpenStack pretty much reinvented
> its own hypervisor agnostic API for esx, hyperv, xenapi and KVM instead
> of enhancing libvirt's support for esx, hyperv or xenapi.

To be fair, there's also the issue that getting a change into any external
project and packaged into all the distros is more unpredictable (and may take
longer) than implementing the same thing in their own project.  RHEL (just as an
example) has been updating libvirt roughly once a year for the past couple years.

Chris