[libvirt] New QEMU daemon for persistent reservations

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Sun Nov 26 08:32:34 UTC 2017

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 15:38:54 +0100, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> On 08/22/2017 06:27 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >

> Sorry for resurrecting old thread but seems like there was no agreement
> reached.
>
> We don't want to expose any paths because the fact that PR helper is a
> separate binary that uses a UNIX socket to talk to qemu is a
> implementation detail of qemu. Other HVs may have it differently.
>
> However, we want to be able to turn it on/off or not mention it at all
> on per-disk basis. So what has been suggested so far is:
>
>   <disk type='block' device='disk'>
>     <source dev='/dev/sda'>
>     <target dev='sda' bus='scsi'/>
>     <reservations enable='yes'/>
>   </disk>

Note that if the reservation is applied to the image and not the disk
the element should become child of the <source> elememt. Especially if
there is only a ever so slight chance that it will work with formats
supporting backing store (qcow2) and thus there would be a need to
configure it per-image.