[libvirt] libvirt not wanting to read back its own interface XML

Marc Haber mh+libvir-list at zugschlus.de
Sun Oct 22 08:37:44 UTC 2017

Hi Guido,

I didn't mean to accuse Debian of doing a bad job with netcf.

On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 09:26:31AM +0200, Guido Günther wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 02:41:31PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 01:37:45PM +0200, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> > > Aha! the thing is, you're using netcf backend while I'm using the udev
> > > one. This error message comes from netcf. It's a netcf's bug. CCing
> > > Laine who should know more.
> >
> > Where can I read up about the different backends available? Is it a
> > compile-time setting or can I configure that on my system?
> >
> > Actually, I'm doing the configuration outside of libvirt anyway (with
> > systemd-networkd), I just want the interface to be in virt-manager's
> > selection dropdown, so I don't care too much about netcf.
>
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?archive=0;dist=unstable;ordering=normal;repeatmerged=0;src=netcf
>
> doesn't look that bad. Not following includes is troublesome (#875762) but
> shouldn't be too hard to fix. Can you file bugs for other issues you're
> seeing? This would make it simpler to decide whether we disable netcf
> support or fix the issues that are there.

It is just that I have configuring my networks in special ways for
nearly two decades, using the "manual" method of ifupdown way before it
was officially introduced into the Debian packages (#88948, sic!), and
am therefore used to other packages doing network configuration not
playing around pretty well on my systems.

And I have stopped using ifupdown entirely with jessie, and have
migrated over to systemd-networkd. My expertise with current ifupdown is
to limited to be of any use.

I would love to see systemd-networkd support for netcf, though.

Greetings
Marc