[libvirt] [RFC] Question regarding the validity of QEMU capabilities

Marc Hartmayer mhartmay at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Oct 20 10:59:51 UTC 2017

Hi all,

the actual capabilities of QEMU are depending on the host. This
includes dependencies like which kernel modules are loaded or which
kernel parameters are used (e.g. kvm.nested). Therefore, after a
restart we cannot be sure that the QEMU capabilities remain the same.

How can we solve this problem?

I have come up with two ways:
 - reprobe the capabilities with every host reboot
 - check for every possible change in virQEMUCapsIsValid... (this is
   already done for KVM). In my opinion this is not the way to go.

Thanks.

 Marc